Monday 4 November 2013

Wantable Box: Primer Test

My Wantable box for November came in!


This was the first time I have ever been in a subscription box, and after searching for awhile, I finally found I was willing to invest in. My Wantable box came in within three days of me putting in my order form, and I couldn't believe the speed! It definitely makes me all the more excited for the next month's box!

It came with an item description. 
I didn't capture it in the picture, but it also lists the retail value of each of the items -- two items easily surpass the price of the box. Wantable also gives you the chance to return the box if you don't like it, but I feel like you could sell or attempt to exchange an item you might not like with the girls on Makeup Exchange somewhat easily. 

These are the items I got in my box! An angled foundation brush, a lip gloss, single eyeshadow, shadow primer, and a skin tightening serum sample. 

Although the lip gloss was way too cool (it has a flashlight embedded inside, perfectly placed so that you can use the mirror on the outside of the case to touch up your lips), I wanted to test the primer today. Through buying palettes and getting deluxe samples from Sephora, I have somehow gotten several eyeshadow primers that I hadn't touched! Everyday, I use my NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base, but  I was curious as to how well it would do compared to this new Michael Marcus Eye Shadow Primer. I used my Lorac Pro Palette in the colour Espresso as the eyeshadow tester.

Here is my swatch picture. From left to right, I have a control, no primer, layered with a brush, my NARS primer, the Lorac primer that came with my Lorac Pro palette, the Urban Decay Primer Potion, and finally the Marcus primer. 

I then waited three hours to see what would happen. It should be noted (and I realised this late), that I messed up the test a bit. The Marcus primer was placed on my wrist, where there was a higher likelihood of moving it about. Compared to the other primers that were placed on the inside of my arm, Marcus was at a definite disadvantage. Even so, I think the results were interesting!

This is the picture of all of them. You can definitely see the difference between the non primer and all of the other primer use.

You can see how dark the colours look when applied. I loved how matte and polished Marcus made the shadow look. It was a neutral coloured primer, somewhat similar to Urban Decay or Lorac's, but it was very creamy. Even though I feel like I didn't apply it as thoroughly as I could've, it seemed like the entire area was covered well, which I cannot say for Lorac or UD. UD has a doe foot applicator and is somewhat liquidy. Lorac is a squeeze bottle cream. I would definitely rate the Lorac primer the worst performer of all of them. It came out patchy when applying and also faded the same way. 

Interestingly enough, although Marcus' primer faded more than UD, it is extremely even and it never creased, despite the fact that I put it right where I bend my wrist. For this reason, I think that if it was to have been placed higher up, I believe it would have equaled UD (this calls for another test, of course). 

A closer picture of Marcus' fading but resistance to creasing and evenness! I noticed when I washed it off later too that Marcus settles into the creases and then evens them out

Lastly, I just want to show off my favourite. NARS did substantially better than all of the other primers, hand's down. 

So. My overall thoughts of the Marcus primer is that I'll definitely use it when I run out of my NARS primer. It compares to Urban Decay's Primer Potion, but is more expensive per ounce. 

I am extremely pleased with my Wantable box, and so far think it's well worth the money! If any of you would like to sign up, you can use my referral link here or just sign up at wantable.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment